This musical masterpiece by George Frideric Handel, first performed in the spring of 1742, has become one of the world’s most beloved musical works.
Dates for 2018 Messiah concert and live stream announced!
Mark your calendars now to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square during the 2018 Easter season to enjoy Messiah on March 22 and 23, 2018, in the Salt Lake Tabernacle on Temple Square. Join us in person or through magic of internet technology. As a gift to everyone around the world who will be celebrating the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Messiah concert will be live streamed over the Internet on Friday, March 23, 2018, and will available for viewing for the week following the concert from our website. Plan to join us in 2018!
The World Sang Messiah in 2016 with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir!
During the Choir’s 2016 Easter Messiah concert digital stream, more than 170,000 people in over 190 countries around the world joined us in their homes with family and friends, or with larger groups in churches, schools, and community centers. Many others joined us as their own Messiah events took place using the on-demand Internet stream available from the Choir’s website for a limited period following the live perofrmance. This was a wonderful way to celebrate the birth, life, death and resurrection of Christ with all Christians of the world.
2016 Recording of Handel’s Messiah
In March 2016, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square released a new landmark recording of Handel’s beloved oratorio in an edition by Mack Wilberg for large choir and orchestra which still retains the Baroque aesthetics and sound of Handel’s original masterpiece. Relying on history and musical tradition, Wilberg created a Messiah for our own time—available in two versions: The Complete Oratorio with a behind-the-scenes DVD, and a 60 minute Highlights version.
Messiah Information and Resources
- George Frideric Handel: A Brief History
- Mack Wilberg’s discusses Messiah
- Learn the “Hallelujah” chorus parts
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir Premieres - Messiah Episode. Watch a captivating interview with Mack Wilberg (Music Director), Ryan Murphy (Associate Music Director), and Luke Howard (Musicologist) moderated by Ruth Todd as they discuss the Messiah CD recordings.
- A downloadable pdf of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s 2016 concert program which includes libretto (scriptural text) and information about the oratorio. Libretto can also be found in Español and Português on external sites.
- A sample public domain Messiah score. Participants typically arrive at a Messiah sing-in with their own score. Please be aware that public domain/copyright laws vary from country to country so this work may not be free of known copyright restrictions in all jurisdictions.
- Watch two amazing “Hallelujah” videos
Read the Voix Des Arts review of this historic album. Additional Messiah articles below: